Not one of my children has any viable memory of my grandparents. If I want my children and grandchildren to know those who still live in my memory, then I must build the bridge between them. I alone am the link to the generations that stand on either side of me. My grandchildren will have no knowledge of their family’s history if I do nothing to preserve it for them. This is a record of my journey to research and preserve our family history so that I may bring it alive for the generations that follow.
Families are the compass that guide us. They are the inspiration to reach great heights and our comfort when we occasionally falter. . . Brad Henry

Genealogy

Genealogy
Genealogy Tree

Genealogy Pictures

Genealogy Pictures
Genealogy Tree in Pictures

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Genealogy Breakthroughs

Genealogy has been a hobby of mine for about 35 years. It has given me the opportunity to incorporate a love of history with a love of family. My favorite movies and TV series were always westerns and I felt like I should have been born during that time. But of course, it was a good thing I wasn't because I like my creature comforts and technology way too much. (See, God was definitely looking out for me).
Anyway, as I was saying, genealogy gave me the ability to see my ancestors during a period of time that I would have at least wanted to visit. Over the years I have researched both my family and my husband's. His was actually easier to do as most of his family had resided here in Texas for many, many years. Texas is a big state but we could still make short trips to the various different counties a whole lot easier than to Nebraska or New York or England.
The internet has really opened up the research avenues for me. Family Search has uploaded images of the Texas Death Certificates for 1900-1976 and I decided to take advantage of that. I ran a report from my genealogy program to show everyone who died in Texas during that time period and I have been locating the death certificates and copying them to my hard drive. Death certificates can give you so much information, particularly names of parents. Which brings me to my breakthrough.
Dr. Charles Edward Hall and his wife Mabel Ora Stuart, my husband's great-grandparents, are buried in Lindale, Texas. Her parents, William Stuart and Laura Hill (Fatherree) Stuart are buried next to them. The headstones show birth and death dates for both William and Laura and the family Bible showed William as being born in Gallatin, Sumner County, Tennessee. That had been the extent of the knowledge I have been able to gather on William Stuart.
While tracing down death certificates for a son of a son of a collateral line, I was taken to Rains County in Texas, where the death occurred. As I have found the death certificates, I have also checked each county to see if the cemeteries have been transcribed online (some have, some haven't yet). So while looking through one of the Rains County Genealogy web pages, I came across a 1913 transcribed newspaper article that said "Herbert Stuart from Lindale was here visiting his uncle S.J. Stuart earlier this week."
That stopped me in my tracks. Herbert Stuart was Mable Ora's brother, a son of William Stuart, and living in Lindale. This uncle S.J. Stuart was obviously a brother to William. A little more research in Rains County disclosed this to be Stephen James Stuart, a prominent settler to Rains County from Tennessee. Now with two children's names as a point of reference, I was able to find the right Stuart household in the 1850 census of Sumner County, Tennesse, which showed their mother Clarissa as a widow. Checking the online marriage transcriptions for Sumner County, I found a Clarissa Mitchenor married to a James Stuart. I also found the Texas death certificate for Stephen James Stuart that listed his parents as James and Clarissa. A death certificate for William (who died in 1902) has never been found.
So by following the death certificates on more current family way down through a collateral line, it took my direct line another generation back. That's what I love about genealogy. You never know when or where you will find that piece of elusive information that fits your puzzle.

Here is the page I did for William Stuart.  I do not have any pictures of William except for the funeral picture.  I used the kit Vintage Chique Collection by Lynn Griffin.

William-Marcus-Stuart-web

In 1909, Laura Stuart filed for a pension based on her husband’s William’s service in the Civil War.  She lived in Lindale, Texas, at the time and Texas granted her a pension until her death in 1925.

William Stuart Pension File 01

This is the statement that William’s brother Stephen wrote for Laura’s application for a pension.

William Stuart Pension File 02

1 comment:

  1. Hi Micki,

    My grt-grandfather was Steven James (SJ) Stuart. I grew up in Emory, Rains Co and never knew William Marcus & his family existed until I started working on the family tree. Actually, not until I saw that same posting about Herbert R. Stuart visiting his Uncle S.J. Stuart did I make the connection. AND, a couple of years ago when we were cleaning out mom's house after she'd passed away, we found a Stuart Bible.

    Children of William & Nancy Stuart:

    James R. Stuart - married Clarissa Mitchener
    Robert Stuart - married Elizabeth Bibb
    Marcus B. Stuart - married Susan Bibb
    William Stuart Jr - married Elizabeth C. Parker and Rebecca Haden
    Nancy
    Agnes
    Belle - married a Phillips

    James R. Stuart died in March 1846, the month after Steven was born. Clarissa died in 1865.

    Children of James R Stuart & Clarissa:

    Penelope Seymour Stuart - married Joshua W. Ellis - moved to Osceola, MO and took Clarissa and the 3 unmarried children still living at home - James, William and Stephen
    Daniel Stuart - can't find him after 1855 court records - Daniel and Robert Ellis were Executors of James R. Stuart estate
    Mary Ann Stuart - died about 9 yrs old
    James L. Robert Stuart - married Frances E. Phillips in Osceola MO
    Susan Caroline Stuart - married Andrew Franklin Corbin in TN - she died and Andrew remarried Ella Phillips Keller (sister to Frances)- moved to Palo Pinto TX
    William Marcus Stuart - married Laura H. Fatheree
    Stephen James Marshall Head Stuart - married Susan Sarah Jane Forbis.

    Joshua W. Ellis - father was Snelling Ellis
    Frances E. Phillips - parents were Alston Phillips and Jane McAlister - Alston & Jane Phillips along with 3 of their sons - Henry, Gideon & Norman came to Rains Co TX with S.J. Stuart

    William Marcus Stuart & Laura Fatheree resided in Wood Co, Hunt Co, Hopkins Co before settled in Lindale.

    Children of William Marcus & Laura:

    Hilliard Eugene Stuart - married twice. was living in Tarrant Co when he died
    Mable Ora Stuart - Charles Edward Hall
    Herbert R. Stuart - married Mary Edith Oliver.
    Herbert & "Edith" lived with William & Laura in Hopkins Co TX. Lived in Dallas Co for awhile. Found their Obits in Tyler newspaper.
    Herbert died 1947 and Mary Edith died 1962.

    Children of Herber R. Stuart & Mary Edith:

    Homer O. Stuart - married Esta Mae Taylor - lived in Tarrant co. - both buried in Rose Lawn cemetery, Mineola, Wood Co TX
    Mabel O. Suart - married a Trammel - lived in San Antonio when she died
    Lura Olive - married Lindsay Elder
    Elmer & Velma - both died as infants

    Do you have an email address where I can send you some photos and documents? Would you be willing to share any Stuart photos you might have?

    Here is my email address: joann.turman@att.net

    Other Stuart & related family researchers:

    Nancy Tinsley - for Robert Stuart & Bibb
    Dan Jaynes Brown - for James L. Robert Stuart
    Jen Gentry - for Marcus B. Stuart
    Lloyd Ellis - for Joshua W. Ellis

    God Bless all our troops - my son is in the Army too. Take care, Jo Ann Stuart Turman

    ReplyDelete